The ability to read is the foundation of learning. Research shows that children who are not reading at a third-grade level by the end of Grade 3 are likely to have trouble learning in all classroom subjects in higher grades.
Resources to Help Your Child
Struggling readers greatly benefit from their families’ involvement and help at home. The following links will give you the tools you need. Take special note of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee Parent Roadmaps for Grade 1-4 families. These will tell you what to expect and how to help at every point.
· Third Grade Reading Guarantee Parent Roadmaps
· Reading First Ohio
· Parents' Guide to Student Success
Additional Resources from INFOhio
· Beach Bags - "Beach Bags," are an online set of printable books and other helps that give parents an easy way to keep their children's reading skills sharp, with fun summer activities arranged around five themes: weather, pets, transportation, food, and neighborhoods. Each Beach Bag includes two free "little books" you can print out at home, two related activities, a list of classic picture books for further reading and a list of suggested websites to explore. Beach Bags are offered free to all Ohio families by INFOhio and the Ohio Department of Education.
· BookFLIX - pairs classic video storybooks with related nonfiction e-books. This engaging combination of read-aloud stories and read-along nonfiction builds phonemic awareness; develops phonics decoding skills; and strengthens vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension, all while introducing children to a world of knowledge and exploration. Many of the nonfiction titles cover STEM and social studies standards. Lexile scores are included.
· The Early World of Learning - offers students in grades K-3 narrated stories, interactive reading games, leveled reading practice, and an online encyclopedia. Early World of Learning's 'Welcome to Reading' section offers new readers stories, games, and activities to help them increase their skills. Two other areas on the site--Trek's Travels and Know It--help children develop vocabulary and comprehension. Early World of Learning also offers teachers a quiz feature that lets them assign quizzes and track progress on a variety foundational skills, including early childhood themes such as colors and numbers. Teachers can assign quizzes to specific students and even design their own quizzes to complement classroom discussion. BookFlix and Early World of Learning Third Grade Reading Guarantee Alignment Information